POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE – SUMNER LAB
The Sumner Lab at the Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) is seeking two Postdoctoral Research Associates who have graduate experience in NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry to join our team and conduct metabolomics analysis. Selected responsibilities include data acquisition and analysis, quality control reviews, participation in meetings, presentations, and proposal and manuscript development. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work as an integral part of the Sumner Lab to conduct metabolomics investigations in nutrition, environmental exposures, and metabolic variation. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will acquire, analyze and interpret findings using NMR and mass spectrometry, software for statistical and multivariate analysis, and pathway mapping. Additionally, the Postdoctoral Research Associate may participate in establishing and applying new methods in metabolomics data capture and analysis.
NOTE: This position is located in Kannapolis, NC (near Charlotte NC, approximately 2 hours from the UNC main campus in Chapel Hill).
PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, or other relevant field, with experience in mass spectrometry and NMR spectroscopy for detection and identification of small molecules
– Minimum 2 years of experience in the acquisition and analysis of liquid chromatography mass spectrometry data with knowledge of quality control procedures.
– Experience in sample extraction, preparation, handling, storage, and disposal of biospecimens from humans, animals, and cell cultures.
– Knowledge and experience in metabolomics data analysis, e.g., statistical and multivariate data analysis and pathway analysis.
– Demonstrated possession of the following skills and abilities: teamwork, critical thinking, self-direction, motivation, project management, time management, organizational skills, verbal and written communication skills for communicating scientific results, ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
– Computer Skills Required: Experience with metabolomics studies using Waters (Synapt GS2) and/or Thermo (Orbi-Trap) software for mass spectrometry, Bruker software for NMR Analysis, Umetrics, Chenomics, and other software for NMR and MS metabolomics, and Microsoft Office.
– Must have suitable internet access in the event that the candidate needs to work from home during COVID or other disater related events.
To learn more or apply for this position, visit: http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/181064
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.