The NRI and this position are in Kannapolis, NC, in the Charlotte region.
The primary goal of the Community Health Outreach Coordinator is to manage and support community-based outreach, relationship building, recruitment, and engagement activities. This person will be responsible for forming and managing the lab’s community advisory board. They will also lead capacity-building efforts to develop sustainable community collaborations with stakeholders and community members focused on improving the health of underserved individuals. This position will also, coordinate and facilitate community meetings and lead community outreach on topics related to research participation, eating disorders, and type 2 diabetes. The candidate will build relationships with local community partners to assist in the management and execution of collaborative projects aimed at minimizing health disparities and optimizing health and wellness for all community members. They will also assist with the development of meaningful metrics and outcomes to measure the impact of community outreach and engagement. The coordinator will facilitate communication and trust-building activities between the research team and the community. In addition to, maintaining and monitoring a database of community partners, community-based outreach, and engagement activities.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the field assigned and one year of related training or experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Coordinate community meetings, events, and activities
- Work collaboratively with organizations providing resources, outreach, and education
- Develop and implement community programs that promote study recruitment and relationship building
- Participate in any community events/committees/associations
- Play a key role in the conceptualization, design, and implementation of outreach programs to educate community members on human studies and lab research findings
- Demonstrates commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Flexibility and strong servant leadership as exemplified by the following: personal humility and integrity, ambition for the organization’s well-being, personal accountability for organizational results
- Experience in program planning and coordinating meetings A background in human research studies
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to present an overview of projects to research staff and the community
- Willingness to work weekends and evenings, as necessary
- Energetic, self-starter with a work style that balances independence and teamwork
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; strong organizational skills
- Ability to edit and analyze informational materials or content
- Ability to work with peers and supervisory staff in a professional manner and to interact effectively with a wide variety of people
- Demonstrated experience with project coordination, event coordination, or customer service required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and virtual meeting platforms (e.g., Zoom)
- Experience in public speaking
- Reliable transportation to and from off site locations is required
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Familiarity with academic research is a plus
- Experience recruiting a diverse participant base from the Mecklenburg/Rowan/Cabarrus County region
- Expertise in community-based or community-engaged research
To learn more and apply, visit: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/248293
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.