The NRI and this position are in Kannapolis, NC, in the Charlotte region.
The Sumner Lab is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate with graduate experience in NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry to join our team and conduct metabolomics analysis. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work as an integral part of the Sumner Lab at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Nutrition Research Institute to conduct metabolomics investigations in nutrition, environmental exposures, and metabolic variation. The Postdoctoral Research Associate will acquire, analyze and interpret findings using NMR and mass spectrometry, software for statistical and multivariate analysis, and pathway mapping. The individual must have a good understanding of the quality control procedures used in mass spectrometry. Additionally, the Postdoctoral Research Associate may participate in establishing and applying new methods in metabolomics data capture and analysis. Selected responsibilities include data acquisition and analysis, quality control reviews, participation in meetings, presentations, and proposal and manuscript development.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, or other relevant field with experience in mass spectrometry and NMR spectroscopy for detection and identification of small molecules.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- 2 years of experience in the acquisition and analysis of liquid chromatography mass spectrometry data with knowledge of quality control procedures.
- Experience in sample extraction and preparation from biospecimens including humans, animals, and cell cultures as well as experience in handling, storage, and disposal of biospecimens.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a team.
- Demonstrated strong critical thinking skills, self-direction, and motivation.
- Demonstrated effective project management, time management, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including communicating scientific results to a variety of audiences.
- Computer Skills Required: Experience working with Waters and/or Thermo software for mass spectrometry, Bruker software for NMR Analysis, Umetrics, Chenomics, and other software for NMR and MS metabolomics, and Microsoft Office.
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
- Experience with metabolomics studies using ThermoFisher Scientific (Orbi-Trap) and/or Waters (Synapt GS2) LC-MS platforms, and NMR spectrocsopy.
- Knowledge and experience in metabolomics data analysis (e.g., statistical and multivariate data analysis and pathway analysis).
To learn more and apply, visit: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/252423
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.