A World-Class Place to Work
The Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) studies why people’s metabolism and nutrient requirements differ from person to person. As scientists, physicians, and healthcare practitioners better understand nutritional individuality, they will be able to enhance human health, improve brain development, and more effectively treat diseases like obesity, cancer, and diabetes. The NRI is located on the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, North Carolina and is part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
All employees of the Nutrition Research Institute (NRI) are employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Why Come to Kannapolis?
- Assured hard money funding support for faculty research programs
- Generous start-up packages for faculty members
- State-of-the-art research facilities in the 125,000 square foot UNC Nutrition Research Institute
- Cutting edge instrumentation available at the David H. Murdock Core Laboratory
- Tenure or tenure track appointments
- Innovative team-oriented approach to science
- Co-located with six other universities
- Workforce training and support provided by the North Carolina Community College System
- Incubator facilities on campus for science companies and venture capital to help finance such companies, providing an exceptional opportunity for the translation of science into application
- Kannapolis’ low cost of living, small town appeal, and proximity to Charlotte and its world-class amenities
- 350 acre North Carolina Research Campus’ mixed-use design totaling one million square feet of office and laboratory space, 350,000 square feet of retail and commercial space and approximately 700 new residential units
- Vision – be a leader in scientific discovery and breakthroughs in nutrition sciences
Current Open Positions
UNC Nutrition Research Institute faculty typically accept unpaid student interns based on their research opportunities and as their schedules allow. Students interested in the NRI’s research are encouraged to put together a statement about their interest in precision nutrition, as well as any of our researchers of particular interest. Students should submit a resume and statement of interest based on the above review, including what they hope to gain from the experience to be considered for such opportunities. Please email resume and statement of interest to Brandi_Childers@unc.edu.
Where We Are
UNC Nutrition Research Institute
500 Laureate Way
Kannapolis, NC 28081
UNC Nutrition Research Institute
UNC Chapel Hill
The Nutrition Research Institute is a unit of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. With an environment that inspires pioneering research, innovation, and entrepreneurship, UNC Chapel Hill has long been an agent for economic prosperity in North Carolina. At the NRI we are proud of our Carolina heritage and to be representing it on the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis.
NC Research Campus
The North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis, just north of Charlotte, is home to eight university research centers, plus industry, government and nonprofit organizations that share the goal of empowering human health through nutrition. Collectively, scientists focus on understanding the science behind precision nutrition and safer, more nutritious crops and foods.